Note: Despite the voyeuristic qualities of the letter-writing format, entries on this blog are intended to be read and enjoyed by all. Feel free to comment, ask questions, etc.

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dear Caitlin,


Mission: Accomplished!


You will be proud to know that the first thing I did when I woke up on my first morning in Bangkok was rip off a piece of an old Chang Beer box and craft this "Day 1" sign. I then folded it up and proceeded to carry it all over the city with me (despite the fact that in this heat having anything bulky in your pocket is next to unbearable) as Emily, Justin and I tuk-tuk'ed our way throughout the city. Ultimately, The tuk-tuk photo I think sums up the feeling of day 1: fast and a little overwhelming.

The next morning, we decided to leave the city and explore a little bit of central Thailand. In Ayutthaya, we biked, walked, climbed and boated in, on and around the incredible ruins of ancient Siam.

In Kanchanaburi province we celebrated the new year with fireworks on the river Kwai and an amazing bar called "restroom" (seriously) which was packed to the brim with Thais who LOVED to take pictures with us (and randomly take sips of our beers...which was a little bizarre). The peak of our night however, was lighting our lantern at midnight and watching it join the hundreds of other lanterns floating up past the full moon.

I have also had a bunch of "firsts" since arriving in Thailand:











First Thai Massage - ฿120


Minibus to Ayutthaya with surprise
stop at Ancient Wat - ฿200











Riding the Death้้้้้ Railway across
the bridge over River Kwai - ฿100


My first time in Asia with two incredible friends - PRICELESS

And while I am already having all of these new adventure I am starting to understand how difficult it is going to be to be so far away from my friends and family for such a long time. Luckily, and thanks to you, I have the wisdom of Pooh to keep me going.

“If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.. there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. but the most important thing is, even if we're apart... I'll always be with you.”
- Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY 2010!!!
    What an awesome way to start a New Year!
    Love ya and love being able to follow you around Asia!

    -Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. AAAAHHH!!!
    happy new year adam :)
    you have such beautiful insights and are a wonderful writer which makes me so glad that you are blogging your travel-adventure because i get to be along for the ride! haha
    miss you from across the globe & wishing you all the luck, happiness and love possible this new year.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think VISA ripped off your "price, price, price, PRICELESS" bag. But the real question is, how are Carhart and Thailand getting along? I miss your revolution pants and was hoping for a photo to soothe my pining heart. Please keep that in mind for us folks at home.

    Miss you. Looks like fun. -Nrrra

    ReplyDelete